Saturday, April 19, 2008

Blog bloggity blog

Saw Vince today in Cinderella at the Lesher Center. It was pretty enjoyable, although they could have turned down the mic volume a tad.

Pleasant surprise: On the way to Mrs. Warren's Profession I ran into Lilith and Gary! We had a nice chat on the train.

Frank compared me to a muppet at one point backstage. Something about the way I poked my head through the door.

Two more weeks of Reckless rehearsal before tech. Which reminds me...

Reckless is not the only component of the spring play. There are also two shorter pieces, one of which is (or was, as the case may be) at student-written one-act titled Sex in High School. About a week ago the administration banned it, which severely ticked off everyone who was involved (and quite a few who weren't, as evidenced by the well-argued-but-poorly-edited speech distributed trough student mailboxes yesterday). Attempts at negotiation have been unsuccessful despite the fact that this play contains nothing that surpasses previous productions (Bat Boy? Cuckoo's Nest?) in objectionability. I suspect that things would be different were it a published work but the deans are unwilling to admit it at this point.

My stage crew partner and I have a bet going as to whether she can last the entire run (ending April 27th) without smoking. She wanted to kill me for the first several days, but it looks like she'll win.

Back on the subject of Reckless. Tim Timko is a very fun character to play (imagine a randy Regis Philbin on crack), but I feel that I don't have a very good handle on Tom. My acting doesn't feel very convincing, and I'm not sure what I can do to fix it. Whatever I do, I need to make sure I differentiate Tom from Tom Jr. Yeah, that's right: I have three named roles in one play (plus Third Doctor, for which I have all of six lines).

We've moved on to our third and final art assignment in Humanitas. This one is a diptych: who you are and who you are becoming. I'm about halfway done, and I'll try to post pictures of the finished work.

History of Justice has finally become interesting, now that we are working on our research papers. Mine is outlining the strategy for convincing the Supreme Court to overturn Walz v. Tax Commision of the City of New York. What that? You've never heard of that case? Shame on you! It is one of the most infamous, almost as egregious as Plessy v. Ferguson, in standing since...okay, it was just a ruling about churches holding tax-exempt status, but I still say it violates the Establishment Clause.

And that is my life in a mix of sound bites and paragraphs.

Oh, yeah: one week until senior prom. I wasn't initially planning to go, but I changed my mind. At least I got a free suit out of it.

No comments: