Tuesday, June 26, 2007

More DV

--Day 10. Yesterday evening we climbed to the top of Ubehebe Peak and read the letters left there by groups past (and by the groups that had come by just a day or two ago). None were addressed to me, but I left a few. It was that event which finally grought home to me that this isn't just another backpacking trip. Now I feel like writing a poem, but break is almost over...We've stopped for lunch just before we cross the Saline Valley. It's pretty windy right now, and we just got a few seconds of drizzle. From the look of things, more is on the way. By the way, my right knee has momentarily dislocated itself twice on this trip. It doesn't slow me down and isn't as painful as a full dislocation, but that it has happened more than once on this trip isn't a good sign, so I asked N to wrap my knee for support. I is really gusting now, and the rain is coming back...So much for rain. Lunch is over, and almost everyone is napping righ now. I think the plan is to wait out the hottest part of the day before we resume hiking. Earlier today we had a CPR lesson. I remembered a fair amount from the health course we all took as freshmen. Something i just remembered: yesterday S said that I look different, older. Either it's a thinner face from weight loss (I hope) or it's the result of not shaving for approximately two weeks.

No comments: