Thursday, March 06, 2008

I swear I am not a cold-hearted bastard!

Though you may have recieved that impression had you sat in on my Modern Western Thought class today.

What I said: During a discussion on happiness, when presented with a choice between burgers and love I said I would take burgers.

Why I am not a cold-hearted bastard: I regarded the burgers not solely as burgers but as a representation of food in general, and before answering I asked Zeus if choosing one meant foregoing the other entirely. He said yes. My reasoning at this point: If I choose love, I will be much happier minute for minute, but I will also starve to death pretty soon. No more happiness after that. Therefore I chose food, not as a repository of happiness in and of itself, but as an extension to my lifespan that I may acquire happiness over a much longer duration.

Still, I cannot deny that it sounded pretty bad.

No comments: