Tuesday, May 22, 2007

So much for the weekend update.

I'm stuck at school for another 24 minutes, so here's the quick and dirty update of my life.

Theatre: The Complete History of America (abridged) went off very well. Some people even said it was the best play we had done in a long time. There was not, however, a review in the school paper, which miffed me. Strident, Presence, and Penguin all came to see it, which I really appreciated. My schedule has been and remains cramped, so I don't have much time to reciprocate with the various shows friends are/will be in.

Writing: I am currently working on (both for creative writing) a one-act play (and by one-act I mean five pages. Pfft.) as a standard assignment (almost everyone else chose to write a children's story) and another ten-page short story as my honors project. I don't like this second one as much as I did Lucid, but it has some promise. The play is about a guy who's been wrongly placed in a mental institution and plans with the help of the man in the cell next door to escape. At the end of the play we learn that he really is crazy: his accomplice is just a figment of his imagination.

Classes: I've taken my APs for Spanish and calculus. We're dissecting fetal pigs and watching The Magic School Bus in biology. Instestines really aren't as gross as one might think. In drama we are looking over possible plays and musicals for next year. Pillowman and TLI are still in the running, and I plan to look up the rights and cast breakdown on Footloose when I get home. In Modern Chinese History we are talking about Tibet and gearing up for a debate. I have a few hundred pages of POWS to grade. Fun.

Life: Next weekend I will be going to Georgia for my grandparents' fiftieth anniversary and grading said POWs. Disappointingly, I did not make it into the summer Ashland seminar. My optimist side tells me that now I have time to fulfill next year's community service requirement by helping out Cal Shakes. The rest of me tells my optimist side to shut up already. The cast party after america Abridged has put me in a Disney nostalgia mood, so if I have any free time I'll be working my way through old favorites. Last night I watched Mulan. Nothing tonight unless I clear out my work at hyperspeed, but next on my list will be The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Ten minutes remaining.

One possibility that came up for the fall play was One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's all right as a movie, but I really don't see us putting it on stage.

I'll cut it here. Bye!

No comments: