Thursday, May 24, 2007

The verdict

The part of the meeting about college I got very little out of other than some summer homework. The rest was discussion of upcoming senior business, such as the senior ball. I care not a whit about the senior ball; I do not plan to attend.

T finished reading through The Pillowman, but he said that it is just too dark to perform. Would that we were a college! Chicago got some negative votes in class due to being high-maintenance.

Still have about a half hour to kill.

Lately I have become interested in the Joker. I don't read any comics--what knowledge I have comes from Wiki and the Mutants & Masterminds boards--but I may have to conduct some more research on him. He did make the American Film Institute's top 50 villians.

On that note, I was surprised to see Nurse Ratched coming in at #5. She seems an unpleasant person, and lobotomizing MacMurphy was definitely over the line, but most of the time I was on her side.

I just overheard that there is a giant fire on the freeway.

One of the more interesting details of the "retreat" was a list of the ways we are perceived as a class. Apparently we are the "good" class, the "chill" class, and the good-looking class, and we have a lot of spirit . On the other hand, we are perceived as stubborn, apathetic, lazy, non-athletic, slow, duplicitous, promiscuous, annoying, and boring. I think we lose.

Thinking about this makes me wonder what my personal reputation is at school. Play reviews peg me as a long-time theater person, and I am obviously recognized as, "Wears Sweatpants all the Time," judging from the laughter that line gathered during the play, but what more? Do my classmates consider me cool? Boring? Funny? Annoying? Kind of creepy? Unknown? I really don't know.

I am told that SAT scores have been posted (I took the reasoning SAT at the beginning of May). I'm going to check mine now...

...Hmm. I shall need to wait until I can look up my username and password.

I think (I say think as it's impossible to tell without asking directly, and there is no way I'm about to do that!) that K (the freshman I've talked about a couple of times) is, for inability to think of better wording, moving on. That is something of a relief.

How is my backpack mangled? Let me count the ways:

1. The grip has snapped off.

2. One side of the handle is permanently stuck in the "down" position.

3. The rubber has come off both wheels.

4. The metal of the wheels is crumbling away.

5. The bottom of my backpack is fraying open in multiple places.

Despite the cries of those around me, I will not scrap my backpack before the year is up. It has not yet caught fire or been dragged into a Lovecraftian pocket dimension, and we only have a couple of weeks to go.

Leaving.

No comments: