Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Poetry contest: round 2

The school creative writing contest is back this year. This time it appears to be poetry specific, with three categories for haiku, form (excluding haiku, obviously), and free-form. I plan to submit to all three. I'm not sure what I'll send in for form, but here are my haiku and free-form submissions.

Bright enough for shade
Cities never get this chance
To read by the moon

I wouldn't want to be one of the haiku judges: It feels odd to know that a branch of the contest is between poems of no more than seventeen syllables.

This one loses something in reading, since I wrote it with performance in mind, but I like it anyway. It was very fun to write.

I’m an action star.
I am Keanu Reeves, Jackie Chan, and Harrison Ford all
Bundled into one thunderous package of property damage.
I am Ahnold. I am Bruce Willis. I am Clint Eastwood.

I am Bond, James Bond.
That’s Sean Connery, Roger Moore, AND Daniel Craig
For you smart-alecks out there,
But Pierce Brosnan only wishes he was part of me.
Oh, yes:
I am even Chuck Norris.
I can kick through a brick wall,
Wrap the bad guys in a lamp post,
And bag twenty buxom babes, all before breakfast.
I am so badass
I can’t even SPIT without the world going into bullet time.
I have more guns than fingers,
And if I think for an instant
You might be a mook
I’ll empty instantaneously half my infinite ammunition into your abdomen
EXCEPT on Sundays.
On Sundays I use a katana.
I consider myself a failure if I don’t
Blast a half dozen homes daily to smithereens, and
The more expensive
The better.
No insurance company will take me,
And the rental car agencies soil themselves when they see me coming.
They think,
“Oh no here comes the action star
There goes a car
There goes our stock
SWEET JESUS WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO
Oh what luck he’s riding a motorcycle today”
But I don’t care about what they think,
Because I’m an action star
And I WILL save the world
No matter how many Nazis,

No matter how many explosions,
No matter how many innocent bystanders,
No matter how many scantily clad double agents, and
No matter how many millions of dollars in checks to Industrial Light and Magic stand in my way!

1 comment:

Andy Cantor said...

LOL!

Even just reading the Action Star poem is fantastic! I wish I could see it performed. Brilliant.