Thursday, October 19, 2006

Plays

Now that I have a bit more time I'll talk about the plays I'm in. Reindeer Soup is a 45-page surrealist play about a family that moves to the tundra and is without food. I'm the father, and the father needs his meds or he goes crazy. It's a pretty fun part, and I've memorized almost all my lines. The Iraq War Project is something the drama teacher came up with. It's going to be a half-hour piece in three parts. Part 1 is excerpts from the play Stuff Happens plus a monologue the drama teacher put together. I play Powell. I look NOTHING like Powell. Part 2 weaves together scenes involving a group of Iraqi friends, a debate between John Murtha and the new Iraqi president, and Cindy Sheehan. I play Ali (one of the friends) and Murtha. Part 3...that hasn't been put together yet. It's going to be a collection of monologues created from interviews or various people around the school. However, parts 1 and 2 are running long, so I don't know how much time for the interview monologues we'll have.

I'm also on the drama advisory board, which means I have a bit of clout regarding the winter musical, though not the spring production. People in charge want to go with a collection of one-acts. I'm sick of one-acts, and so are the people I've talked to on the subject. Fall play last year was a collection of one-acts, spring play was a collection of one-acts, an assignment for Arts & Society last year was a one-act, Iraq War Project is a collection of one-acts, and really short ones at that, Reindeer Soup is practically short enough to be a one-act...WHAT'S WRONG WITH JUST DOING A FULL-LENGTH COMEDY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!?! Anyhoo, about the musical. Last year we did Grease. I didn't try out because I can't sing for beans. This year we're considering Damn Yankees (yay!), Hairspray, Chorus Line, one other I can't remember, and Les Miserables. Um...what? I love Les Miz as much as the next guy, but seriously. We're a high school, and we have one, maybe two good male singers this year. I really don't think we can do Les Miz. Some people are also talking about Chicago. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Also...um...I'm taking a movement-focused acting class. Ah! Which reminds me: I have a day and a half to find and record two more naturally-occurring theatrical moments. Think think think.

1 comment:

Andy Cantor said...

Gah! Exactly the same as me! I can't think of any other theatrical-like moments! Curses!

On the bright side, Susannah is about a gazillion times better than my school acting teacher, so much in fact that it's driving me nuts! Only once a week! Why? Why!!!???