Tuesday, October 31, 2006

It's Halloween!

Stupid combination of play rehearsal (2 days left!) and homework preventing me from doing anything fun...*grumble*

Yesterday was Diversity Day for my school. This mostly consisted of sitting in the theater and listening to a couple of guys speak. We also wrote "I am from..." poems. If I can share it with the rest of the school, I can share it here.

I am from my own mind, from dreams and speculation, but only my own. No one else will dream for me.
I am from Venice, from Russia, and from the mental institute where I never really worked.
I am from the bookshelf. Yes, that shelf, the one that overflows.
I am from those who choose what they dream.
I am from a bag of dice.
I am from a grassy, muddy field, running, leaping, striking down. A hundred feet away, shoes lie forgotten.
I am from two houses, each surrounded by trees and more houses. Even now my mind can walk through the ghost of a dead house.
I am from those who revel in their waking dreams.
I am from speech bubbles, from conversations whose other end I will never know.
I am from endless sheets of paper, all scribbled over with numbers and letters understood by few.
I am from that place behind the brown, fibrous curtain. You can pull it away, but the second curtain is heavier by far.
I am from a disconcerting place. Few others have been there.

(after school)

Quite the selection of costumes at school today. I came as the Phantom of the Opera, but my Spanish teacher thought I was V (for Vendetta). That man needs to be slapped! Other people came as the Corpse Bride, Batman, Guy Being Eaten by Shark, a pirate, Crazy 88 (something from Kill Bill, I don't know), a robot, a dead woman, an angel/fiend hybrid, Harlequin (that was Impulse), and an evil high priestess who was still in favor of gay rights.

Just 49 hours until we perform. On the good side, everyone is (finally!) off book 100%, and we have the Christmas tree and ladders we need. On the bad side, the door is still broken.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Peter! You should write more poetry!

Sorry you couldn't make it to the trick or teating event. We will disconcert a few little kids in your honor.

Lilith said...

Yay! Your "I am from" poem! I lost my "I am from" poem... and then it got wet... grr...
You know, your style of writing poetry (as well as writing in general) reminds me of my own... strange...