Thursday, April 26, 2007

pessimist's sonnet

We were working on sonnets during Creative Writing today, and I wrote this.

Idealistic youths with smiles bright
Believe the best of those who’ve fully grown
Until they age, mature, and see the light
And harden ’neath the gloom the past has sown.
A man dug up a diamond in the rough
And strode away with songs upon his breath
Until he slipped and lost it down a bluff
When, in despair, he chased it to his death.
The avatars of ignorance and bliss
Who never live a moment free of pain
Are well off from their lack of joy to miss
They know not what they have no chance to gain.
Consider this before your life you choose:
The more you have, the more you have to lose.

On a slightly less dreary note, today was scheduling for next year's classes. I moved sideways from Calculus to Statistics and dropped Spanish to free up my schedule for more seminars. If all goes my way, next year I shall be taking such wonderful classes as Humanitas (a high-demand class on what it means to be human; definitely at the top of my list), Shakespeare, The Divine Comedy, Classical Worlds (with an amazing teacher from my seventh-grade days), Poetry, Dramatic Writing, and History of Justice.

One other thing: apparently my PSAT scores made me a National Merit Scholarship canditate. Yippee!

1 comment:

Integrity said...

Your school classes sound really cool. more like college classes even. since my school is public, we have just what we have to have. nothing special. but college next year! so i just hope there will be some shiny sparkling class that will have more coolness to them. lucky you:)