Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Rehearsal blues and rant

As long as I'm on this nightmare trend, here's another one: being a stand-in director for the Iraq War Project. A break that was supposed to be about 15 minutes ran to 45, snacks lying around continued to be a distraction, and this is most dangerous for ME out of anyone because I am getting TWO grades for this play! Others denied that, saying "You can't fail this. You're Peter T's favorite/Peter T Junior!" You people don't get it, do you? A substantial chunk of my grade is audience reception! If you go down, I get dragged along for the ride! In addition, some people still don't know their lines six days from performance, although that is not in all cases their fault because (mark this) I am still not sure that the script is yet finalized!!! LESS THAN A WEEK BEFORE PERFORMANCE AND THERE ARE STILL CHANGES BEING MADE TO THE SCRIPT! Arrrrrrgh! This is the LAST time I sign up for a play without a final draft for the script! I have got to talk to the director about this. I'll also take another stab at convincing him to scrap the idea of a(nother) one-act festival for the spring. People are getting sick of the one-acts, and it's really starting to show. Love, Death, and the Prom (collection of one-acts) was not a popular production, and the article in the school paper made clear that this was not the fault of the actors. Not many people auditioned for Trapped (collection of one-acts). Turnout for IWP auditions (see a pattern?) was abysmal, and one guy in my grade who has been a constant member of the drama community said that he wasn't planning to do any more acting at school. But then when asked about Reindeer Soup by the senior directing it, he signed right up. Which brings me to my next thought: Acting under Omnipotent this summer was more enjoyable, acting under the senior directing Reindeer Soup was more enjoyable, and if I remember correctly, acting under the old head of the drama department was more enjoyable. An number of directions that have been given on IWP clash directly with Omnipotent's teachings. While listening to Peter T say, "take a beat, walk over here, and then deliver your line," I hear Omnipotent's voice saying, Act on the lines, not between the lines." Peter T: "After you hear what Dick Cheney has to say, do this: *mugs an incredulous face at the audience*" Omnipotent: "Stop schmacting, people!" You get the idea.

Peter, if you read this, know that I am NOT the only one with these thoughts! And PLEASE! Enough with the one-acts!

1 comment:

Andy Cantor said...

Gah! I am having the same isssues comparing my acting teacher to Omnipotent. She's just so darned GOOD that now I'm completely spoilt. Actualy, I'm not sure it would even take a director as good as her to make Mr. Winer look bad. Oh well. Student directed play starting up. Yay!