Thursday, November 29, 2007

Drama catchup

This week has been dominated by theater. Tuesday through today were the auditions for Urinetown. Tuesday was the acting audition, wherein I recited a monologue educating kindergartners about the multinational conspiracy to turn us all into alien chow. I noticed that four or five guys came out of the underclass woodwork, which is encouraging. Wednesday my Classical Worlds class went to see Argonautika. It was extremely good, and it included Andy Murray, although Athena, we all agreed, stole the show. I was particularly impressed with their creative uses of a very minimalist stage. On the ride back I was appalled to learn that Vince and Ratched, both huge musical aficionados, have never seen Les Miz! This will be remedied anon. Anyway, when we got back we had our dance auditions. *sweatdrop* Give me some choreography and I will do my best, but I am neither flexible nor experienced. I pray that Mr. Cladwell does not dance much. Today held a Taming of the Shrew recitation in the morning. Between Red (who cross-dressed as the Kate to my Petruchio) and me, we recited 104 lines of dialogue with no mistakes (none on which we were called, anyway). After Shakespeare we saw a number of scenes performed by representatives from the Oregon Shakespeare festival. The only Shakespeare in the show was an excerpt from Two Noble Kinsmen, but Who's On First was VERY funny. As it is wont to be. Singing auditions were in the afternoon. I think I didn't perform as well as I did at my voice lesson on Monday, but it was clearly better than last year *shudders*, and Emily remarked on that. Callbacks will be posted tomorrow at lunch. *crosses fingers*

On another note. I spent most of my time in line for auditions today talking with Cheswick (who is a girl), and we came to a somewhat depressing realization: I have more experience playing a female on stage than she does. And before you ask, she has been in multiple plays here.

Finally, I have thrown a new hat into the ring for the spring play by...on second thought, I'll keep that a secret for now. You can wait a few months. *tease*

No comments: