Thursday, November 08, 2007

McMurphy!

We've made it through opening night! WOOOOOOOOOO!

***CUCKOO'S NEST SPOILERS AHEAD***

That was a fantastic opening night. It was a large audience for a Thursday and we really got through to them. Vince said that both of his parents were crying by the end. On the note of Vince, he...well...sort of destroyed the electrical box. Save that energy for Saturday, big guy. Ratched and I each seem to have a really strong sense of where the other is: when I stand up to Ratched near the end and move to block her from reaching Candy, we came within a couple finger-widths of each other. Not to say that the show was perfect; Harding skipped about half a page of dialogue in Act I (very good covering, though), and we had a momentary blackout just before the pary scene (I'm glaring at youuuuuu, Kenzi!). Still. Fantastic. Harding's dad came up to me afterward and said that I was portraying a spot-on anxiety disorder, and this guy worked in a psychiatric hospital for ten years!

Acting is more than just my passion or expected profession. It's what keeps me human. I can say that without theater I would be a lot less like me and a lot more like Billy. Each play seems to improve my life or my identity in some way. For example, going through Cuckoo's Nest has made me more comfortable about exposing myself physically.

Oh, yes: When I located T after the performance I promptly asked him for notes. My favorite note that he wrote down for anyone was as follows,

"Shock therapy scene: fucking awesome."

I have no doubt that our next two nights will fare just as well.

1 comment:

Arcadian said...

Congratulations, Peter!

That sounds powerful and awesome and fun and I am so happy for you.

(It's so nice when you do a show that reminds you that oh yes, without theater I would be fucking INSANE.)

Anyway, rock on, I'm just sorry I won't be able to see it.