Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Getting old, I know

But I am determined to finish my Death Valley journal, even if it is nearly five months late!

Solo, Day 2. Here I am. Day 2 and feeling fine. Master of all I survey, so long as I only survey to the east. My tarp is right on the western edge of my territory, which might make it difficult for N & K to reach my checkpoint unseen. The sky is completely overcast right now. Hopefully it won't rain...Apparently, N & K can still sneak by just fine. I wonder why I haven't been in much of a journaling mood this morning, especially after doing more than five pages yesterday. I'm feeling alert but low on energy. I have more than a gallon of water per day available, so no worries there. Sky is clearing up over Saline Valley to the northwest, but it's still quite windy and chilly. I estimate the time to be around noon, based on the sun's position. Right now I am thinknig of all the foods I miss. I miss guacamole. I miss Mexican food covered in warm, melted cheese with refried beans on the side. Nachos. I miss barbecue sauce. I miss pizza. I miss reubens, grilled cheese, Caesar salads with anchovies, and everything else I order at Max's diner. I miss their steaming sourdough rolls I tun into mustard sandwiches. I miss dark chocolate. I miss boneless buffalo wings at Chili's and the Hot Rocks burger at Fuddrucker's. I miss fresh fruit of all kinds, especially the tart ones. I miss ice cream. I miss tortellini. I miss everything pickled. I miss spinach artichoke dip. I miss yogurt and those sweet potato fries at the Scharffenberger Cafe. I've got to stop torturing myself. I'll do something else now...I've spent the last (insert interval of time here) buried in my sleeping bag to escape the wind. Just now I dropped off the self-evaluation sheet assigned (I hate those) and tightened up the ropes on my tarp. By now the sky has grown significantly clearer. Schedule for when I return from AWE: 1. Go to Baja Fresh. Order a "dos manos" bean cheese, and carnitas burrito with a side of guacamole. Eat. 2. Go home. Restablish contact with the Venetians. 3. Take a LONG shower. 4. Eat ice cream. 5. Blog my journal [Editor's aside: 5 must have dropped to 95, eh?]. 6. Soak in the hot tub. 7. Eat the most delicious thing I can think of at the time. 8. VEG OUT. 8 1/2. Sleep in late. 9. Find someone to talk to. 10. Go to Max's and eat some more...This tarp may serve for shade and rain protection, but it's not good as a wind shield. I get up and walk around for a couple minutes, come back, and my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and ground cloth are all blowing away. We're definitely into the afternoon by now...Early evening. Still gonig strong in the fasting department. Sky is almost completely cloudless, but the wind is ever-present...Second and last checkpoint of the day accounted for. I must admit that my instructors are good at sneaking. The sky has begun to dim noticeably. I expect I'll retreat into my sleeping bag soon, so good night.

Maybe I will finish transcribing tomorrow.

No comments: