Monday, August 20, 2007

Here are my thoughts. Give me my penny.

I miss Cal Shakes. It's only been three and a half weeks, but it feels like an eternity. Thinking about Cal Shakes brings me to thinking about the immediate future of theater at school. It's kind of sad to look ahead and know that the plays we put on are 95% likely to not be as good as what I and so many others were in less than a month ago. Less available time to work on the plays, no guarantee of a strong pool such as there is at a class (calling it a camp trivializes it to my ears) fully devoted to Shakespeare for 5 weeks--not to say that we don't have some fantastic and committed actors at school, because we do--and no Omnipotent/Softy directing us.

I attended a leadership workshop today where I heard that One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest was confirmed as the fall play. I will be auditioning for McMurphy, of course (the more I think about it, the more I realize that I get cast primarily as the nutjobs, so I'm very confident that I will be cast as somebody), but I've heard that Klute will kill for the role, and he apparently is a huge fan of Ken Kesey. He was good in Reindeer Soup. I suppose the main concern for that play is Chief Bromden. Vince has the height to play him, but he's a bit on the skinny side. Whether Iona or Nixon will get Nurse Ratched I do not know (yes, "Nixon" is a girl): Nixon's a senior, but Iona has a bit more experience in the school plays.

No comments: