Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Matter, form, and two wrongs do not make a right

You know you'll be engaging in a lot of philosophy when your homework consists of watching the sky.

I've picked my audition monologue. The only plays to which I have easy access are Shakespeare, TLI, and The Pillowman. A Pillowman monologue is most appropriate for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and T said that he wanted to hear something from me on the dramatic (vs comedic) side. I believe he mentioned he wanted to hear something that leads to some sort of release at the end. Looking through the play, it appears that the best monologue for this audition is Ariel's monologue in the third act when he prepares to torture Katurian and talks about his hatred of anybody who would even think about laying a finger on a child. It stands alone well, and it has a lot of emotional potential, just so long as I leave out the last line. It's a dark laugh, but it's a laugh line nonetheless.

I have just over a week to prepare.

No comments: