Friday, September 07, 2007

Are directors normally this candid pre-casting?

I made the callback list, so I'm cast for sure. Yippee!

This afternoon we had various cold readings from Cuckoo's Nest. I read as McMurphy, as Harding, and as a little bit of Billy. I requested to read another Billy piece on Monday, as I felt that two lines did not make for a full respresentation of me as the character, although T said that he saw what he needed to in that respect. Speaking of what T said, afterward he talked pretty openly with me about his thoughts: if from them I could assign percentages to my likelihood of getting cast in this role or that, I would assign them like so: 50% Billy, 45% Harding (that surprised me; I didn't see myself as quite the Harding sort), 5% McMurphy. He's all but cast me already in one of the first two, but McMurphy would be a bit of a stretch from what he's seen of me (and Lear wasn't a stretch!? But I digress.) in terms of the character's physicality. McMurphy's a fighter, and if I really want the part I ought to join the fight club so that I can get it into my body. I'm willing to do that, but my worry is that it could strangle the schedule I've worked to keep wide open this year (and scheduling conflicts--that and our shoo-in for Bromden going AWOL--are the only reason, as far as I can tell, that Vince might not land the role).

Regardless of how the roles are sorted out, I repose my opening question: are directors normally this candid pre-casting?

No comments: