Monday, September 10, 2007

fat lady's warming up

Callbacks Round 2 finished just now, and the cast list will be posted tomorrow afternoon. There were no script readings today; instead we had a series of character improvs, mostly for McMurphy. For the first set, each potential McMurphy present was paired up with a girl from the cast whom he had to try to charm in McMurphy fashion. I don't have much experience in that area, but I tried to channel my performance as Duane Wilson and I believe I did pretty well. The second round was that of McMurphys threatening staff members at the institute. This exercise was necessary for establishing potential to display McMurphy's fighting side, but T's goal of scaring the other actor was not as effective as one would hope, seeing as we were (obviously) forbidden from inflicting bodily harm on our scene partners. I ended my own improv for just that reason: McMurphy would at that point give up with words and beat the attendant to a pulp if he hadn't started already. The table was a popular prop: the other two guys running the scene eachoverturned it, and I picked it up as if to wield as a weapon. Once those were finished we had a couple of group therapy improvs to give the prospective Nurse Ratcheds some practice in addition to the other patients such as Bibbit, Cheswick, and Harding. Vince was a no-show. I'm guessing he had dance.

No comments: