Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Questions

A bunch of questions I wrote up the other evening when I was feeling particularly bleak.

Is the best way to die to die mad?
To be so utterly detached from the world you don't even realize what's happening?
If you knew you were to die at dawn, would you be able to sleep?
Would you try to sleep?
Would you want death to sneak up on you like that?
Or would you stay awake, wanting to squeeze every last second out of your life?
If an apocalypse was coming, would you run?
Would you hold on to the hope that you can escape?
Would you accept your fate?
Or could you not bring yourself to run, standing paralyzed as death crashes down upon you?
If you looked Death in the face and it smiled, would you smile back?
Would you show it your rage?
Or would you close your eyes?
As you heard the strikes of a clock that heralded your doom, would you listen?
Would you cover your ears?
Or would you jam the gears of the clock and tear off its hands in hopes it would stop?
If you had the power to bring death to everyone else, could you be driven to it by any means?
If you were to die as well, would that make a difference?
If the only way to save the world from an eternal tyrant were to destroy it, would you do it if you could?
If you stopped time forever, what would you do?
Would it be the same to you as an apocalypse?
If you were the only living thing left on Earth, what would you do?
Would you try to live as long as you could and let yourself die slowly?
Or would you commit suicide?
If you knew you were someone's dream, would you conspire to keep that one in eternal sleep?
If you knew the world was a dream, what would you do?
What if you knew the dream caused the dreamer pain?
If you could end death for all, but only by ending birth as well, would you do it?
If you could end pain, but not death, would you do it?
If the world were about to end and you could stop time but not change a thing, would you do it?
If you were forced to choose between the destruction of your civilization and the destruction of another, what would be the deciding factor?
Do any of these questions even matter?

4 comments:

Integrity said...

If I had time to answer these, I would... even if the point wasn't to actually have these morbid questions answered. My college rush is done Saturday, so maybe then I will answer. Do you have answers? Or do you just ponder for the sake of pondering, the questions standing alone...?

Peter said...

I have no answers for any of them.

Andy Cantor said...

Perhaps
Not nessisarily
No
No
I would rather have slept
Where?
No
Yes
No
Yes
No
Maybe
Yes
No
No
Never
No
No
try to undo it
Yes
Wait to die
Yes
No
Why?
Wait to wake up
What could I do?
No
No
No
I'd kill myself first
No

I'm not sure of any of these of course, but they're what I think I would do.

Integrity said...

Lets see now…

Q: Is the best way to die to die mad?
A: Depends on what is mad. If it’s like having rabies, then no. If it were like dancing around naked and seeing music, then yes, that would be better. But that is all in terms of pain and upset that comes from death. Maybe I wouldn’t want to be mad...maybe I’d want to be able to think clearly, even in my last moments on earth. I think to die mad is to die without fear, but to die sane is much more meaningful, and frightening.

Q: If you knew you were to die at dawn, would you be able to sleep?
A: I would not be able to sleep. I can’t sleep if I have a math test in the morning… and if I had the knowledge of my death, wow. No chance.

Q: Would you try to sleep?
A: No.

Q: Would you want death to sneak up on you like that?
A: It would be easier, lucky even. But I would be a coward.

Q: Or would you stay awake, wanting to squeeze every last second out of your life?
A: Yes. I would probably spend my last seconds scribbling a note to someone, not sure who. Then I would probably go somewhere beautiful… and wait, remembering…trying to smile…trying to be calm. After all, what’s the point in being frantic about an unavoidable death?

Q: If an apocalypse was coming, would you run?
A: Yes. I’d do what ever I could. I’d run, I’d yell, I’d fight.

Q: Would you hold on to the hope that you can escape?
A: Yes. That’s all we can ever do, right? Hope. Hope there will be a chance.

Q:Would you accept your fate?
A: If it was my fate to except, then maybe. If there isn’t hope, then make the best of the situation, even if it is an apocalypse.

Q: Or could you not bring yourself to run, standing paralyzed as death crashes down upon you?
A: Well, I’ve never been in a situation such as that. What I’ve heard is as humans, and as animals, together we have two choices when threatened. Fight or flight.


Q: If you looked Death in the face and it smiled, would you smile back?
A: Yes.

Q: Would you show it your rage?
A: Why? Death can’t help itself.

Q: Or would you close your eyes?
A: I rarely close my eyes.

Q: As you heard the strikes of a clock that heralded your doom, would you listen?
A: If it was a pretty sound

Q: Would you cover your ears?
A: What’s the point, I’m doomed right?

Q: Or would you jam the gears of the clock and tear off its hands in hopes it would stop?
A: I might do that, but only if it was something other than a digital clock.

Q: If you had the power to bring death to everyone else, could you be driven to it by any means?
A: I would never believe that it was my choice to make such a decision… one affecting so many others

Q: If you were to die as well, would that make a difference?
A: I don’t think so.

Q: If the only way to save the world from an eternal tyrant were to destroy it, would you do it if you could?
A: There would have to be another way. There always is.

Q: If you stopped time forever, what would you do?
A: It would be thrilling for a day, looking at the funny, stuck expressions, watching the birds hover in mid air, eating food that a statuesque waiter was bringing to a customer… but then if it went on, how sad I would be. No one to talk to. Every one like art. Me growing, moving, alive. Everyone else caught. I would probably go crazy, trying to keep myself sane. I would probably end up making it my fate to arrange the people like toys, talking to them as if they were in motion like before.

Q: Would it be the same to you as an apocalypse?
A: Yes. The worlds as I know it would end, cease to exist.

Q: If you were the only living thing left on Earth, what would you do?
A: Anything I wanted, I guess. Except have a social life.

Q: Would you try to live as long as you could and let yourself die slowly?
A: I would want to live if I was doing something useful. Something meaningful.

Q: Or would you commit suicide?
A: I don’t think I would, unless I accomplished something and thought it was time to leave.

Q: If you knew you were someone's dream, would you conspire to keep that one in eternal sleep?
A: That depends if I existed when they were awake as well. I’d want them to live a good life, because mine was a created life, one that has no flesh. We could share.

Q: If you knew the world was a dream, what would you do?
A: Ooo sounds matrixy. I’d lucid dream then, creating the world as I wanted it.

Q: What if you knew the dream caused the dreamer pain?
A: Many things cause pain. Get over it.

Q: If you could end death for all, but only by ending birth as well, would you do it?
A: Like Aeon Flux (or what ever that movie is). Well it’s the perfect solution to overpopulation. Just have to get the number right.

Q: If you could end pain, but not death, would you do it?
A: No. we have pain for a reason. We learn from pain. I would end regret though, if I could.

Q: If the world were about to end and you could stop time but not change a thing, would you do it?
A: So stop time? Or just prevent the end? I don’t understand the question. No, and yes.

Q: If you were forced to choose between the destruction of your civilization and the destruction of another, what would be the deciding factor?
A: I’d like to think that I would be just and chose to keep the more prosperous civilization, the one with more hope, with more potential for happiness… but I think I would be selfish and chose mine, justifying it by saying that I would change things and make it worth saving.

Q: Do any of these questions even matter?
A: Yes. They made me think. A little on the dramatic side maybe :P