Tuesday, February 27, 2007

RANT!!!

First, I will share that Lilith will unfortunately not be in Sweet Charity due to sickness. Sorry about that! Get well soon, Lilith! *hugs*

It is for that reason that the role of Big Daddy was reassigned to a freshman, identified here as Beta. Which brings me to my rant.

I have known for some time that not all of the students are particularly fond of Peter T, and he has shown his moments of flakiness, but today my respect for him took a severe blow. After today's dress rehearsal, I learned that from Vince that, to be more "choreographically comfortable," the role of Big Daddy is being taken away from Beta and given to him. This is wrong on so many levels!

First, Beta wants to do Big Daddy.

Second, Beta was the official understudy for Big Daddy.

Third, for the above reason, Beta already knows all of Daddy's lines and is doing quite a good job.

Fourth, as Vince is already Vittorio, it makes no sense to put him in another significant role.

Fifth, Vince does not want to do Big Daddy.

Sixth, everyone else I have talked to is opposed to stripping Beta of her part like this.

Seventh, we perform in less than 48 hours! YOU CAN'T SHUFFLE ROLES THIS LATE IN THE GAME! IF YOU DIDN'T LIKE THE CASTING, YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING ABOUT IT, OH, ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO!!!

Keeping all this in mind, it was thought that Peter could be talked out of the recasting. Then the following ultimatum was delivered from on high: If Vince is not Big Daddy, then the Rhythm of Life will be cut! Aside from this being a despicably cheap shot, if Rhythm of Life is cut from the play, then we lose an entire scene including one of the largest and best dance numbers in Sweet Charity in addition to screwing up the scenes on either side of it. So, either Vince gets shunted into Big Daddy and a bunch of people are unhappy, or the Rhythm of Life is slashed from the play and nobody is happy. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

As a flaming cherry upon this sundae of vitriol, I will add that, despite my repeatedly bringing this issue to Peter T's attention, I still do not know what the choreography is for my solo!

To end this on a positive note, I will say that I will still take T over Daniel Fish.

EDIT: Whoops! I learned today that it is not T, but Laura at whom my ire should be directed.

No comments: