Monday, December 04, 2006

Need to write more.

See the heading.

Tomorrow are singing auditions. It took me a while to decide what to sing, but I've decided on Music of the Night. It's one of the few songs that I (1) have memorized and (2) am capable of singing range-wise (still some evil high notes, but not much that can be done about that). That's all I have to say about that.

I remember during the dance rehearsal, Lilith said to me, "Do remember the fire in that poem of yours? Be the fire."

Be the fire.
Move, leap, don't worry.
I fall. Sticks fall and burn.
I am not a stick. I am the fire.
Fire rises, I rise.
Unsure, unsteady.
Fire is always sure. Fire rises and grows.
I am the fire. I grow, I prosper.
"You have a leaf on you."
I am the fire, and I will consume that leaf, growing stronger still.
Singing about the night. Impossible? No.
Fire casts its shadows. Sing from the shadow, but be the fire.
Singing has never been my strongest suit.
I prepare for an uphill battle.
Fire moves fastest uphill. Be the fire.
The fire waits, wakes, climbs, takes, fades, dies, sleeps, hides, bursts, and lives.
Waiting for rehearsal.
Waking up to an unfamiliar challenge.
Climbing uphill.
Taking one's own measure.
Fading as I fall.
Dying as I land flat on my back.
Sleeping as I contemplate music. Music of the night, as the matter falls.
Hiding, biding my time, practicing.
Bursting forth in song tomorrow.
Living!
Be the fire!
I will be the fire!
I am the fire!

3 comments:

Lilith said...

YAY! I'm an inspiration to some, irritation to the rest!

Be the fire!

I'm gonna pop out like one of those ninja things you told me about, the ones that say "remain vigilant". Except I'm gonna say "Be the fire!!" :D
Well, now I'm gonna have to give the whole background... Ok, so all the girls had to do this kinda sexy tribal dance (yes, that's how I'm refering to it) that embraced femininity as a whole. So, you can only imagine the look on Peter's face when Laura (is that her name?) announced that the boys had to do the dance with the girls the final time. Hee hee. I will never forget that face... I'm sorry Peter, I'm not laughing at your pain. Ahywho, I saw him and just felt so sorry for him, I mean the guy was so nervous with the regular dancing let alone the sexy female tribal dance! Laura wanted passion and attitude over actually following the steps, and that concept reminded me of fire; the whole DANCE reminded me of fire. And then I remembered Peter's poem about fire and it clicked. So I tried to get him in that "fire" mood by telling him to be the fire from his poem. Did it work?

Andy Cantor said...

So, you can only imagine the look on Peter's face when Laura (is that her name?) announced that the boys had to do the dance with the girls the final time.

ROFL, oh gee, poor Peter.

Hehe, ninjets are indeed awesome...

Peter said...

It wasn't really the femininity of the tribal dance that freaked me out so much as the fact that Laura had said it was a girls-only dance, so I paid more attention to doing a few stretches and less to what the moves actually were. Heh, I can certainly imagine what my expression must have been like.